Thursday 19 April 2018

avenues

My research project this year was very vast in its potential avenues I think this is good and bad. It was good for me, exciting to allow myself to be carried away by different trains of interest and I learnt alot more than is evidenced in the essay but also very bad for me in knowing how to write anything precise/concise.  Looked into a lot of more abstract expressionist paintings that ever before, with a particular emphasis on Mark Rothko whose work I had not previously explored. My interests in making art often seems to be nearing abstraction. I love the idea of the observer being able to make any conclusions they like about what an artwork is about or why I made it. I think an artwork is most interesting when it needs to be worked out, its not easy to understand. Often in the case of fine art, there is no need to work it out the painting speaks for itself and is purely aesthetically pleasing. is this the same for illustration? I think not as conceptual ideas are key to communicating ideas. 
I believe that once I have made something and it exists without me having any influence over it further than being its creator. I could have done an essay on that on how abstraction can communicate ideas-maybe level 6?
improvisation as a theme is a good one in my opinion because it encompasses the style of art making I do and what seems to inspire art that I enjoy. Jazz music has played a very big role in my life and I ended up listening to lots of classic jazz music like John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Keith Jarret to name afew, as part of my research but I went off too deep in a musical tangent so this lead to being quite unproductive for writing the essay about improvisation in the world of visual arts. Musical improvisational skill is matched by the skills of those in the realms of standup comedy and improve theatre; another avenue this could have taken. (but also a very distracting tangent when researching)
A freedom to express yourself without worrying about trying to make the piece decipherable, digestible or comfortable for the eyes. The ideas discussed in my COP essay lead me into learning more about my hero Kieth Haring and then into about Jean Micheal Basquait and new York in the 1980's. I find basquait's life and work very exciting but couldn't find an angle to included my new discovery's in the essay. I really admire Basquaits drive to make art and his work looks quite similar to some of the stuff I have been making throughout some of my cop sketchbooks.

I feel like I should have honed into one more refined line of inquiry that would have made my research a lot simpler. Because I wasn't sure exactly what I was investigating a lot of the time I would find myself getting further and further away from illustration and I had to take steps back and consider how this could be applied to my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment